We have some great artists, artisans, and vendors for the Festifall Arts Markets – now we need some interesting and interactive arts activations!
We’re looking for Triangle-based artists/artist teams to create participatory art activations during each Saturday of Festifall. This could be sculpture, installation, performance art, street art, or something else entirely. Whatever it is, the activation should allow for festival attendees to participate in an artistic experience in some way. Selected artists/teams will receive an all-inclusive $1,000 stipend to finalize the design and work with our team to figure out all the details, including which date(s), where you’ll be on the Plaza, and when install will need to happen.
Please note – musical performances should not apply through this call, we will arrange for those separately.
ABOUT FESTIFALL ARTS MARKETS & MORE
Festifall is series of three locally curated pop-up arts markets in downtown Chapel Hill. Markets will take place from 1-6 p.m. on three Saturdays:
- Saturday, October 14
- Saturday, October 21
- Saturday, October 28
HERE’S HOW TO APPLY BY MONDAY, AUGUST 28TH AT 5 PM
Applications must include
Four (4) Images and List of Previous Work:
- Submit (4) images that represent your style of work and/or are relevant to this project.
- Each image should be approximately 900 pixels (longest dimension) and no larger than 600 KB.
- Submit each image as a separate .jpg file.
- Submit an image list as a separate .docx or .pdf file and include the file name, media, and dimensions.
- No more than 2 pages providing artistic resume and description of relevant projects or your art practice if images to do not adequately capture your practice.
HERE’S HOW THE SELECTION PROCESS WILL WORK
- We’ll review submissions based on artistic excellence and alignment with our values of inclusion, experience, and understanding
- We’ll select a few finalists and pay them $100 to submit a full proposal and design
- We’ll select up to three artists/teams to activate Festifall.
HERE’S THE SCHEDULE, SUBJECT TO CHANGE OF COURSE
- Monday, August 28 at 5 pm: Deadline for submission of application materials
- Early September: Applicants contacted with selection results; Finalists contracted
- Mid-September: Finalists submit proposals; Project Artists/Teams selected
- Late September: Final Designs & Plans approved
- October 14, 21, 28: Art activations realized at 140 Plaza by Project Artist(s), one project per Saturday.
HERE’S WHO TO CONTACT IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR NEED MORE INFO
- Steve Wright, Public Art Coordinator
HERE’S THE FINE PRINT
The Town of Chapel Hill reserves the right to refuse any or all submissions or works, to refuse any finalist, and to waive informalities in procedures should it be determined that submissions or works are not adequate, or for any other reason prior to a written arrangement being reached.