Celebrate Black Community & Culture
SATURDAY JUNE 17 | 10 AM – 3 PM
HARGRAVES COMMUNITY CENTER
Chapel Hill-Carrboro’s Juneteenth celebration returns to the Hargraves Community Center for a second year, with food, fun, music, and more! Here are a few highlights, click on the links below for details:
- The day starts at 10:00 am with a dedication ceremony for the new Hargraves Historical Marker, part of the NC Civil Rights Trail.
- The stage will feature live music all day long, with gospel singers, steel drums, rap artists, and R & B. A DJ will keep the party – and the dancing – going between sets.
- Black businesses will be on display throughout the event, from the food truck zone to the small business fair.
- Local non-profits will be showcase their good works and spread the good word about all they do.
- The Kids Zone will keep the young ones happy with face painting, street performers, mural-making and the CHPL Circulator.
Juneteenth, also known as Emancipation Day, commemorates the emancipation of enslaved people in the United States. The Towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro proclaimed the observance and commemoration of Juneteenth on June 19, 2020 and encourage residents and employers to recognize the holiday.