Request for Proposals
The next round of Art + Transit will place an area artist’s design on both the outside and inside of a Chapel Hill Transit bus. The artwork will inspire and delight thousands in Chapel Hill and Carrboro, whether they ride the art bus or see it driving by.
Orange County, North Carolina artists are invited to submit a proposal for consideration. The selected artist will receive an honorarium of $500 to provide final digital designs for both the exterior wrap and interior ceiling design for one Chapel Hill Transit bus (artist is not responsible for fabrication and installation).
Community Arts & Culture seeks local art that inspires creativity and celebrates community for a better Chapel Hill. We value inclusion, experience, and understanding, and encourage submissions of work to reflect these values. The Art+ Transit program activates public spaces with art to improve the transit experience.
ELIGIBILITY: Artists and designers must reside Orange County, N.C and submit application materials following the specifications listed below.
DEADLINE: Monday, February 17, 2020
How to Apply
Complete the form below and upload the following application material as one zipped file. No links, discs or hardcopy portfolios will be considered or returned. File formats other than those requested may not be considered. A complete application should include the following:
- Four Images of Previous Work: Four images representative of the artist’s style of work and typical subject matter. Please submit each image as a separate .jpg file at approximately 900 pixels (longest dimension) and no larger than 600 KB. Please include an image list by file name, including media and dimensions as a separate .doc, .docx or .pdf file.
- Proposed Designs for Exterior Bus Wrap and Interior Ceiling Vinyl: Submit designs as .PDF or .jpg, and description as .PDF, .docx, or .doc. Artists are encouraged to provide a few sentences describing their design concept. Please note the following specifications:
- The proposed designs should be proportional to the exterior bus template (download here) and interior ceiling template (download here).
- These designs may be preliminary rather than final, and the exterior wrap and interior ceiling vinyl should be related in style and imagery but not exactly alike.
- The artist selected for this project must be able to translate these preliminary designs into final designs that meet the vinyl installer specifications (download here). Final designs must be Adobe Illustrator .eps or .ai files.
Application materials will be reviewed and selected by the Artist Selection Committee made up of representatives from the Cultural Arts Commission, the Chapel Hill Transit Department, and Community Arts & Culture. Selections are based on the artistic excellence of previous work and the proposal design. Arts staff will notify applicants of selection results and will make further arrangements with the selected artist.
Schedule (subject to change)
- Monday, February 17, 2020: Submission application deadline
- Tuesday, February 28, 2020: Applicants contacted with Selection Committee results.
- Friday, April 17, 2020: Selected artist contracted and final designs submitted for installation.
If you have questions or need additional information please contact:
Steve Wright, Public Art Coordinator at email@example.com or 919-968-2749